"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

Friday, December 23, 2011

Dogtooth. Weird.

oI just finished Dogtooth. I'm not sure what to say. It was disturbing. Some reviewer thought it was funny. I didn't get that. I though it was mainly sad and tragic. Homeschooling gone terribly, terribly wrong. Everywhere there's talk about those crazy parents who taught the kids different words for objects. I think we like that. On some level we really wish we could do that - just mess with people like that. As a teacher, I often joke that I could tell them epistemology means toilet paper and they'd never be the wiser - but mainly I'm making a joke about their obedience and lethargy.

This is serious. The parents aren't just messing with the kids for fun. It's deeper than that. And I didn't really find it entertaining. I think I was grimacing from start to finish.



Weird.

No comments: